Many children think honesty means you “don’t tell a lie”– and that is definitely part of being honest. But honesty means more than not lying. A more complete definition of honesty shows that an honest person is true to who they are and their values
This rings true to the statement you hear in AA,
“Do the next right thing”
Why is Honesty Important:
• Honesty is not just about telling the truth to self and others
• Honesty is It about being real with yourself and others about who you are
• Honesty is knowing what you want and what you need to live your most authentic life
• Honesty promotes openness
• Honesty empowers us
• Honesty enables us to develop consistency in how we present the facts
What are qualities of an honest person?
An honest person is someone that is
Honesty is a facet of moral character that connotes positive and virtuous attributes such as
• Integrity -implies trustworthiness and incorruptibility to a degree that one is incapable of being false to a trust, responsibility or pledge
• Truthfulness – refusal to lie, steal or deceive in any way
• Straightforwardness, including straightforwardness of conduct
• Honor -suggests an active or anxious regard for the standards of one’s profession, calling or position.
• Probity – means uprightness of character in motion (implies tried and proven honesty or integrity
• Honesty also involves being trustworthy, loyal, fair, and sincere.
What does honesty show in a person?
• Respectable, admired behavior is always carried out with honesty.
• Telling the truth and backing it up with actions show respect for what’s right and an esteem for ethical and moral integrity.
• Honesty is one of the key components to our character and one of the most admired traits of any successful, responsible person.